Children’s dentistry combines professional dental care with an understanding of the psychological needs of this particular demographic. Younger patients naturally make for nervous patients as they may not always be fully aware of what’s happening when they go to the dentist’s office.
If you’re a parent in Irving, you should book an appointment with Professional Dental as soon as your baby’s first tooth comes in. Getting your baby to the children’s dentist early enough sets a good precedent for their oral health.
Children’s Dental Treatment at Professional Dental
While children may not suffer from a wide range of dental problems like adults, they also have their challenges. Some of the children’s treatments available at Professional Dental include:
- Oral health exams including risk assessment for decay and cavities
- Dental cleaning and fluoride treatments
- Correction of improper bite
- Dental injuries care
- Habit counseling, for instance in the case of thumb sucking and pacifier use
- Restoration of teeth which have cavities
- Detection of oral health conditions which may be associated with diseases such as heart defects, hay fever, etc.
Preparing Your Child For First Dental Visit
Your child’s first dental visit can be daunting. That’s why it’s essential to adequately prepare your child psychologically before you get to the dentist’s office. At Professional Dental, we encourage patients to use the following tips before coming in to see our dentist:
- Teach and practice proper dental hygiene at home so that your child has fewer problems to deal with at the dentist’s office
- Explain to your child in the simplest terms possible what a dental visit entails
- Resist the temptation to paint the dentist’s office as a scary place where naughty kids do—this only creates fear and confusion
- Offer tooth-friendly treats as an incentive to visit the dentist’s office
At Professional Dental, we advise parents not to wait until it’s too late. Don’t wait for the cavities. Schedule that appointment with our children’s dentist in Irving while your child’s teeth are still healthy.
Dr. Sonya Reddy serves patients in Irving and the surrounding areas of Grand Prairie, Arlington, Las Colinas, Valley Ranch, Coppell, Bedford, and Hurst.